Tuesday 23 October 2012

Saying No: When America is Everywhere



I would like to preface this blog with a warning: Any PCV's at a rural site stop reading now, this blog will only upset and disappoint you.




Here in Cebu I have unlimited access to American food. We have McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Krispy Kreme, TGIF Fridays, Sbarro, Seattle's Best Coffee, Dunkin Donuts and of course Jollibee the number one burger chain of the Philippines. We also have an unlimited selection of imported American junk food. We have Skippy Peanut Butter, Pringles, Cheetos, Pop-Tarts, Oreo's, Cheez-Its, Snickers etc. Most recently I discovered Philadelphia Creme Cheese! Now some of you back home may laugh, while some of you at other sites may cry, but I have to admit my latest challenge has been resisting the American temptations at every corner. 






Places like McDonalds where I would never step foot in back home have become my crutch in this country. I can easily overspend at the supermarket because I am stocking up on American junk food like the world is going to end. After about three weeks of this behavior I finally stopped and asked myself what is driving this insanity? My host family serves me nutritious meals. My allowance cannot support this habit long term. My current health goals do not include gaining 20 pounds. The only conclusion that I can come up with is despite the lack of substance and nutritional value in these foods they are one of the few unchanging variables that I can rely on. After a long day at work there is nothing more gratifying than the taste of something familiar. 




Looking forward I know that I cannot continue living like this. At the same time I recognize that self care sometimes calls for some self indulgence. With a renewed sense of urgency I will now attempt to limit my food coping to the weekends and find some healthy snacks that can sustain me during the work week. As far as the daily peanut butter goes... you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment