Wednesday 21 November 2012

What Am I Thankful For?



Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so I thought I would spend some time writing about what I’m thankful for...

I am of course grateful to have the basic needs of shelter and food but until now I have never been so grateful to have a bed. It is commonplace here to see street children sleeping on the sidewalk, often only partially clothed. When I walk past them every day I am reminded of my good fortune but I am also reminded of how much work still needs to be done.

I am grateful for my social work education which has changed me in so many ways and really opened my heart as well as my mind to the injustice in the world. My education was empowering and gave me the insight I needed to inform my service and inspire my advocacy.

I’m also grateful for my idealism, because I have to believe we can do better and I have to dream that one day we will live in a world where human beings are not bought and sold, where women are not expendable and where education, basic health care and social service programs are widely accessible to those who desperately need them. I always remind students that they don’t have to accept the world as it is today and they have the power to change it.

I am grateful for my service, and the humility it brings. I may come home from work overwhelmed, exhausted and challenged but I am fulfilled knowing every day we furthered our cause and we made a difference.

Lastly I am grateful for my family, friends and mentors in my life who have supported me and encouraged me to stand up for my beliefs.I will miss sharing this day with you but I am grateful for your presence in my life, despite the distance between us.


"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude."-Denis Waitley


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment