Sunday 16 September 2012

Goodbye Aningway

Our last week in Aningway was bitter sweet. Although we are relieved to finish training and finally begin our 27 months of service it was hard to say goodbye to our host families who have shown us such great hospitality, love and friendship.  I feel so grateful to have had this opportunity to live in such an incredibly beautiful place and be completely accepted into the community with open arms.





I was asked to write a summary of Pre-Service Training that would make everyone laugh and cry. The result was six pages of memories which I shared aloud at our last technical session. Here I would like to share the descriptions I wrote about my cluster mates so you can have an idea of my support system over the last 10 weeks.


There is Donna who never ceases to amaze me with her dedication in walking 10,000 steps every a day. Despite her struggling with the language she remains positive and isn’t afraid to laugh at herself. And even though her host family is not ideal she manages to stick with it, spending time with the kids and lending a compassionate ear to her host mother. I know it’s hard for her to be away from her husband but I have so much respect for her and the many years of experience and wisdom she brings to the table.

Melissa who is arguably the most selfless person in the world; volunteers for everything, regardless of how monotonous or time consuming the assignment. I envy her drive, her focus and her attention to detail. Not to mention her ability to integrate into the community. Every time we have an event I see here holding somebody’s kid or getting her chika chika on with the locals.

Thank god for Candice who without her generosity our cluster would have suffered many snack less meriendas. Candice also has common sense that grounds us and keeps us on task. I don’t know where we would be without her because her work ethic and facilitation skills are incredible. Not to mention she’s also getting her MSW… I hope I can be like her when I grow up.

Oh Christina. What I love about her most is probably her laugh because it’s more genuine that anyone one person I have ever met. I am also very impressed by her resiliency and her ability to take control of her own situation. Peace Corps said jump, and Christina said how high? What I also love about Christina is she has no problem singing show tunes with me at the top of her lungs. This is a rare quality to find in a person.

Ben has got to be one of the happiest people I have ever met. I kept waiting for him to get pissed off about something but nothing provokes this guy. I really admire Ben for the professional experience he brings to the table and the positivity that he shares because we all benefit from it.

What I admire about Justin is that he is not afraid to laugh at himself but when it comes down to it he takes this job seriously and always delivers a quality product. This is why some day when we are all mopping floors or making coffee at Starbucks Justin will be working at the State Department.

Ashley and I didn’t really talk much until we lived across the street from each other. This is when I realized that she is not only an independent woman who is not afraid to voice her opinions but simultaneously she is one of the most accepting people I have ever met. We also share a deep love for eating, anything and everything that crosses our path.

Sam’s not only the master of Tagalog. He’s also got really impressive dance moves. And once I got to know him I found out he can quote any movie or show with incredible accuracy. He also does great impressions. Thank god I have someone who can understand my obscure movie references.

Tam’s greatest gift is her ability to level with you. I found great camaraderie with Tam because not only does she tell it like it is. She will also tell you the most logistically sound way to get it done and makes it look easy. I love her ability to take control of a situation and the end result is always beautiful.

I think Jeff is some kind of Puerto Rican Buddha. He is a really reflective and insightful person. Sometimes he is so positive and optimistic about everything he makes me feel inferior because I wish I could be like him. When I work up enough courage I think I might ask him to be my guru. 

No comments:

Post a Comment