Friday 21 September 2012

Swearing In Ceremony and Arrival in Cebu City


On Wednesday all Peace Corps Trainees of batch 271 were officially sworn in as volunteers at the US Embassy.



“I, Amelia Kent, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”



My sector manager Ambet

 Each sector was required to do a presentation and our group chose to do spoken word. I wrote a poem and we performed it barefoot.


We left our friends and family behind
Not knowing what joy or hardship we'd find
They questioned our service, questioned our path
Some even doubted the success we'd have
But here not once have we had to explain
We are in this together through sun, through rain
So call on my in your time of need
And I will remind you we've planted a seed
A seed that will grow to the ends of the earth
We start by recognizing each person's worth. 





"Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it." 
-Buddha

The next day I flew to Cebu City where my supervisor picked me up and took me directly to my agency. I was immediately serenaded by the girls and made to feel incredibly welcomed. This really is a perfect placement for me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment